jeudi 25 novembre 2010

thanksgiving: our parents' legacy

 

wekiva springs  --sb 3.10
  
We often consider thanksgiving as a single act instead of a lifestyle.

But I have learned from watching my parents over the years that thanksgiving as a lifestyle comes in the form of appreciation. And appreciation as a developed lifestyle is the manifestation of a grateful heart. For us, it was taught and modeled.

Dad: " 'Preciate it, Sug’ " or " 'Preciate it, Son" . . . “Thoughty, thoughty”   Mom: “ ‘Preciate it, honey…that was reeeal thoughtful.”


My brother and sisters and I have heard my Mom and Dad make these statements endless times our entire lives. Both my parents have never failed to say thanks for anything done for them by us, even the seemingly insignificant things.

And they always demonstrated it, too, which is the real art form of appreciation. They would do this with a return gesture, a follow up phone call, and sometimes a greenback slipped to you by Dad with his signature statement, “that’s between you, me and the lamppost.”


Often Mom would show appreciation with a thank you note that she always wrote rough drafts for first. That’s how important you and your act of kindness was to her. Thanksgiving was a formal process for her. Sometimes Mom would show her appreciation with a gift that was always personally meaningful. Never wanting to bring attention to herself, she would cover it up by saying….“Wellllll, I was at Belk Lindsey and happened to see…” “…and by the way, it was on sale, I had a coupon, and I found a tiny, pinhead size mark where no one will ever see it and gave me an extra 60% off  ;) ... Love you forever, Mama... miss you.

I am so thankful that expressing appreciation in various forms comes naturally to me because of my parents’ example. What amazes me is how some people are overwhelmed and sometimes uncomfortable being on the receiving end of it. I don't get that. I suspect it’s because they didn’t grow up with it like we did. I wonder.

This Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for many things, but especially for my parents for modeling and teaching us to express and show appreciation to others.
It is not just a gift my parents have given us. It is a legacy.

"Thanks, Mom and Dad. 'Preciate it." I thank God for you.